5 Rules for Choosing the Perfect Domain Name for Your Business
Have you decided to open your own online shop?! Congratulations on the good decision!
Shopify offers you a free domain in the following format: yourstore.myshopify.com. However, you also have the option of buying and using your own domain name, such as yourstore.com. Having your own domain name is more professional and makes it easier to promote your brand.
Do you want to go straight to the list of Shopify stores in Germany, Austria, and Switzerland for inspiration? Then click here and check out domain names that work great!
With so many websites already in existence, however, you need to be creative to find a domain name that is not already taken. Smashing Magazine published a great article a while ago explaining how to do this. Here we highlight some of the most important points.
The importance of the domain name
Registering your own domain name has many important advantages.
A permanent address online
Domain names provide a permanent point of contact for anyone interested in finding your company online. Regardless of how your business changes over the years, your domain name can stay the same. Whether you find a new web host, redesign your brand, or your business model changes, you can keep your domain name.
Without a branded domain name, it will be harder for your business to get noticed. There will always be a little lag the “main brand” you share the name with, in this case mybrand.myshopify.com. It is difficult for web browsers to remember your URL, and possibly even your brand.
Trust and credibility
Investing a bit of money into registering your own domain is a sign that your business is legitimate. Not only will this increase your customers’ trust and conversions, but it will also make it easier for other companies to work with you. It also helps the media write about you better.
5 Rules for Choosing a Domain Name to Remember
- The essentials: be short, concise, and unforgettable! Your name should also be easy to pronounce and spellable.
- The Unspoken Rules: When buying a domain name, avoid choosing one that is like competing domain names and make sure you are not infringing on anyone else’s trademarks.
- “.COM” – “.com” is the most popular top-level domain and unfortunately it can be difficult to find one available. In most cases you should prefer “.com”. However, if you only want to sell in a certain country, you should consider a country-specific domain like “.de” for Germany or “.at” for Austria.
- Strong branding: Having a strong brand is important. Even if you only sell one product right now, you may find yourself adding more products in the future. Choose a name that you can grow into, even if your website or business strategy changes.
An expert gives more tips on branding in this post!
- Be creative: most one-word domains are no longer available, and you may have to make up your own word. Try merging two complete words (YouTube), using a phrase (Six Apart), merging parts of two words (Microsoft), changing a word (Flickr), combining a word with a prefix and a suffix (Shopify) or inventing a whole new word (Odeo).
Read here how a Shopify retailer from Munich built a strong brand – with a matching, distinctive domain, of course!
Tools to help you brainstorm.
Company Name Generator – Gochyu’s free tool for generating creative business names.
Most likely, you will not get your first choice. Do not let this discourage you. You will find a great domain name that will perfectly represent your store.